Repair Corrupted Excel Workbook
You can encounter corrupted workbooks time to time. Sometimes one of your workbooks gets corrupted, sometimes a file you received is. But there is no need to worry, since it is easy to repair corrupted Excel workbook.
When you try to open a corrupted workbook, Excel will display a message like the one below and when you click on OK, it will not open the workbook.
To repair corrupted excel workbook, you need to apply the steps below:
- From any open Excel workbook, click File -> Open
- Locate and select the corrupt workbook.
- Click on the arrow next to the open button and click on “Open and Repair”.
- Excel will present you two options, one being “Repair” and the other is “Extract Data”
- Click repair as the first choice, Excel will try to repair corrupt workbook.
- If that doesn’t works, reapply steps 1 to 4 and select “Extract Data”.
- This time you will be asked to choose between converting all formulas to values and trying to recover formulas. For me, both yielded same results every time.
This way Excel will recover as much data as it can. But you will likely to lose all the formatting and formulas.